Saturday, August 6, 2011

An Army of Worker Ants

[EDIT: the timezone for this blog is out. It thinks I'm in America. Today is Sunday, August 7th. Shame on Google!]

West Lake, Hangzhou

They call this a typhoon? When Fitow hit Tokyo in 2007 I could feel it in Hiroshima for about three days. All we got here was a shower and a bit of drizzle yesterday. Today dawned bright and sunny and I was woken by birdsong from the nearby park. I put on the washing and headed outside. By now I knew the way to the park's back entrance.

I carried a bag of plastic bottles down with me. Not sure about the local recycling scheme, I'd at first put them next to the bins and they disappeared soon enough. Today I was stopped by one of the women sitting outside. Apparently they get a few kuai for gathering plastic bottles and cardboard. Trolleys piled high with recyclables pass through the traffic at any time of the day. A somewhat sadder picture is that of elderly people rifling through rubbish bins, carefully extracting discarded drinks bottles. Hangzhou is combed over by an army of micro-recyclers and street cleaners. It's possibly the cleanest city I've ever been to, but it is maintained by a vast and poor underclass.

No comments:

Post a Comment